Friday, January 25, 2008

Meet Squirt




OK what was I thinking??? I had this client come get her hair done a few weeks ago. She was telling me about this cute little turtle she had and was going to take it to the pet store. It was her daughters and she had moved to China or something and she (my client) was sick of taking care of it. So she said very nicely, "do you think your boys would want a pet turtle?" Of course Dawson's ears perked right up and he gets all excited... YES YES PLEASE OH PLEASE! Then I ask how do you go about taking care of this type of turtle? She gives me the 411 and I think oh how bad can it be? SURE! (hoping that gma won't mind a turtle in the basement of her home)
ANYONE LOOKING FOR A PET TURTLE?? He is cute and quiet and has a little tank of his own and he REEKS! I can't handle it anymore! I have cleaned his "home" 2 times now and both times thought I was going to toss my lunch!
I really need to clean him up again cuz the boys tell me he stinks so bad. (i don't even go near him anymore) but I can't bring myself to do it. Does anyone know if I could just drop him off at the pet shop....and run?? My mom told me to set him free outside (in the -23 degree) weather and that is that. I am not an animal fan but I couldn't do that to Squirt! Anyways, if ya know of anyone who wants a smelly tiny turtle named Squirt, let me know!

13 comments:

Karen said...

You are a trooper to even say yes in the first place. I think I'd have had to change the subject fast. You are a fabulous mother to agree though. I'd suggest calling a pet store and asking them how to get rid of it. He is pretty cute though. It's a shame you live so far away from me. But please don't bring him to me the next time you are here. I hope you get rid of him before then.

Becky said...

He is really cute... but man am I glad that I can't smell through my computer!! Maybe you'll have to do my hair at my house... P-U!! (I have no idea how you would spell that!!) I bet Carter & Rook would love a pet turtle!! haha!!

Bobbi said...

Carter and Rook hate turtles, or anything else that moves around that isn't a human being. In fact, I am the one that doesn't like animals---and I'm sure we are allergic to turtles too! The other thing I am sure of is that Becky wants me to box her ears in for that turtle comment....hehe

Nash said...

Did we ever decide what diseases those things carry? Maybe I'll *wickipedia* that after I leave this. I guess the smell will get rid of him whether he's a carrier or not.
I love that your family is trying to pawn him off to the other family members.
My kids are dying for a puppy. I'm not a huge animal lover (i can't even stand that ken acts like one and likes us all to pretend we are either lions, cheetahs, or jaguars, or unicorns-you get my point). So, I will take a small dog if they clean up the poo! Ok enough of my run on sentences.

the waites said...

That is not real!!! I think that is the cutest little turtle ever. Come on and get over the stinch...

Kellie said...

I had one of those during my mission and I do remember cleaning the tank every single day. If not...stinks to high heaven. Other than that, low maintenance. Just think it's kinda the same of shoveling doggy do-do but way way smaller.

Saun and Wes said...

I had a tiny turtle, his name was Tiny Tim. I put him in the bathtub to see if he could swim. He drank up all the bubbles, he ate up all the soap, and now my tiny turtle has bubbles in his throat, glub glub! Hi Audrey, that turtle is so cute. Too bad he stinks. Ha ha. just kidding. Your kids will have fond memories of Tiny Tim even if you don't keep him for very long.

Anonymous said...

Audrey, it's easy..........Just open the door, and put him out.
Love, MOM

Anonymous said...

I think we should wait until spring and release him in the canal to be free!!!

Audrey said...

Ok, we can wait til Spring but YOU get to clean his tank next! I did it today and almost cried it stunk so bad! I think Kellie is right...we may need to wash him and the tank DAILY! I barely do the dishes or any other chore daily so we shall see if that happens!

Natalie Hall said...

We are so the same about animals, Audrey. My boys would kill for the turtle. Good thing I got the honest truth about taking care of a turtle. I always thought it was real simple. Now I have changed my mind. Best of luck finding a new owner. I love how you think you could possibly drop it off at a pet store and run, I like that idea.

Natalie Hall said...

How cute are you!!!! You totally remember that story to a T.. I miss are good old laughs at Suggestions.

Speaking of Idaho. My grandma was suppost to fly to Vegas, but she made it as far as Idaho Falls, she got snowed in, my poor little grandma.
I am sure it is beautiful right now, white every where but very cold.
It was a nice thought of you going with your kids outside. It's the the thought that counts, right?

annie said...

Cute turtle ~ I'm never showing my boys the pictures of squirt. They tried to drag home 2 cats yesterday. Anyway, TAG! When you get a sec go check out my blog :)
peace