Thursday, January 8, 2009

It happened.....

This morning my 5 year old decided he was going to run away! What? My kid? Why would my kid EVER want to run away from his dear, sweet, fabulous mother??
Yeah well it went like this.
He wakes up with a stretch, a hug, and a "good morning!" So I am thinking we are off to a good start. (til i looked further in the kitchen to see cole rummaging through the candy drawer for a dove choco bar)
I then say pick out which cereal you guys want cuz I don't have very much time to do breakfast. I hear the usual, "we want swedish pancakes!" over and over. Then they realize, it ain't going to happen.
So Daws goes into our pantry to look over the selection of "other" food that we have cuz he apparently doesn't want cereal and decides he wants Otter pops. Not the ones in the freezer, the ones in the box waiting to be frozen. I of course tell him no, that is not going to pass as his breakfast. He shuts himself in the pantry moping and I go take a shower.
Cole comes in to tell me that Dawson is in the garage and he is leaving! I told him to tell him to come talk to me first. Cole came back and apparently Daws didn't want to talk to me cuz he wasn't coming in and so Cole told him to go and don't forget his scarf.
(ok geesh, this is getting long....sorry)
I decided not to feed into Daws dramatic situation and went about my morning and eventually he came in and said "MOM! Do you know why I was in the garage?" I said, ummm cuz you were going to run away? And he shook his head yes and told me it was cuz he deserved a GOOD mom that would let him have a melted popsicle for breakfast.
Then he says to me "if you want me to go I still will" I sat there on the end of the bed thinking. After a few seconds he says, "OR, if you want me to stay i will unpack my stuff"
Sorry but I started laughing.... "unpack what?" I asked. He took his pillow case and dumped out the pillow and filled it with a few stuffed animals, a bat, and an etch a sketch.
I then told him I didn't want him to go and he should unpack cuz our family wouldn't be a happy family with out him. So he did, and he has been in a good mood ever since!

(pic of dropping daws off at school. obviously this was taken before the freezing white wonderland approached us. couldn't find a pic of daws riding solo.... these two cubs are usually together)

19 comments:

Nash said...

well HELLS BELLS, finally a new post.
I gotta know, why the heck you even have otter pops in the dead of winter??
Aren't kids SWELL!
Just the beginning Audrey.

Amanda said...

Adorable! I'm so glad my kids have never done this. I'd probably freak out a lot more than you did.

Karen said...

That's too cute and funny. If Dawson ever wants to run away to my house, I'll take him. Ethan loves his new dinosaurs, by the way! Thanks!

Holly said...

LOL! That was so cute!! I am still giggling about it! Thanks for sharing such a sweet story. You are going to have to save that one for the Muranaka Family story books and when he has a little boy share it with him! That is how you get even! ; )

hmmm said...

dear cole:

good job reminding daws to get his scarf.
you & me, buddy, we think alike.

love,
aunt geri

Our Family said...

Too funny!! Your boys are adorable.

Becca's Blog said...

Dawson and Cole are the most hillarious pair of kids. I hope the new little lady turns out cool too!

Becky said...

I love that Cole wasn't bothered at all by the situation... He was like fine don't let the door hit you on the way out or "Don't forget your scarf!" haha That's hilarious!

ang said...

oh that is SO cute! i'm glad you decided to keep him. and also glad he was taking his bat - self defense, you know??

Melissa & J.D. said...

Good job keeping your cool, Audrey. I wouldn't have handled it that way, that's for sure. You are amazing!

Battfam said...

Cute story. I liked the ending where the kid stays and the mom quits being mean. For future reference, this is how one of your aunts used to handle the "I'm running away" situation:

Kid: You're mean. I'm running away.

Aunt(Mean Mom at the time):
Good. Let me help you pack.

P. S. The mean aunt wasn't me.

Lucy said...

cute story, Audrey.
If you run out of those otter pops, I just found a full bag and an open bag on the floor in my storage room. I wonder who opened that puppy???

emily said...

Oh my gosh, Audrey, that is such a funny story. I love how you handled it-you are such a funny girl!! Thanks for sharing!

Attitude of Gratitude said...

That one is worth keeping in the file! don't we all do it at one point--I remember packing up my bike with some potato chips and riding to our canal bridge a 1/2 mile away--throwing some rocks in and deciding to go home.

Cassie said...

I've had our 11 year olds bags packed for weeks. He just hasn't thought to go yet.

ashlee said...

I had to laugh at this story because it sounds so very similar to many conversations I have had with Rylee. I don't know if it is the fact that they are both 5, or that they both have similar eating styles, or just that they are as stubborn as we are!! Last time I just told Rylee that it would break my heart if she left, but I wouldn't stop her if she wanted to go...she decided to stay. These little ones just kill me!!

Juliann said...

Oh man. You handled that well. I would've laughed quite a bit earlier and then would've lost him for sure!

Very funny. You can bug him about this for a long time to come. Especially about he Etch-a-sketch. I'd like to hear the reason for that!

Saun and Wes said...

Holy smokes, you are a popular girl. What's up? I just had to say that I couldn't stop laughing at this story...oh my goodness, you have to put it in his journal or something. And yes, you are a horrible horrible mother for not letting him have melted popsicles for breakfast dang-it! How dare you! No wonder he wanted to run away. I let my kids eat them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner all the time.

And I must say, I think you did the exact right thing by just ignoring it. It that ever happens to me I will follow your lead.

Ann or Mike said...

Audrey--too funny!! At least he gave you the option of unpacking his stuff. I can't wait for mine to figure it out--good thing its nice and cold here for awhile...